Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rules are meant to be broken

After spending some more time getting acclimatized to the office and having some pleasant, albeit, seemingly, subject-less conversations I managed to take care of more administrative matters and familiarize myself with the ongoing projects further.  In the afternoon, the curiosity got the better of me and I started poking around the network setup at the office in order to see what kind of coverage I could get for the Champs League El Classico only to discover the restrictions imposed on WAN access are worse than I thought.  Besides blocking freeware/shareware (Putty website is blocked!), the proxies block several common protocols, encrypted traffic, and some random websites that came up on Google's search results.

I had a chance to start working my way around the proxies only to find I couldn't manually authenticate with any of them.  This was disappointing and I will continue to try and get through, however, even SSH-ing to the outside world is, well, impossible, without authentication with the proxy, so simply routing the traffic properly is insufficient.

1 comment:

  1. Heh, bending rules here and there arn't too bad. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete